View our Work
As a custom builder of quality high-end homes; with a specialty in historic renovations in the Houston area, Southland Homes of Texas is often asked to focus on upscale communities such as the Houston Heights. Our goal is to provide clients with the personalized attention that insures their completed home will be everything they dreamed of, and more. Visit our Photo Gallery and see for yourself some of our completed projects.
What should I consider when building in the Heights?
Southland is the premier builder of new custom homes in the greater Houston area, including the Heights. We build custom homes by first building relationships with our clients. Those relationships allow us to understand your needs so that the home we build suits your family’s lifestyle. We do not offer one or two standard designs for you to choose from; rather, we design what can truly be called custom residences. You decide everything from room size to functionality to aesthetics. Together with our design and architectural partners, we build the home that’s right for you. In addition to your lifestyle, which forms the basis for the design of the home, we focus on a number of other aspects of home construction, including:
- Your Building Lot. The Heights is an interesting area architecturally, because of the mix of newer and older, historic residences. We insure that the overall look of your home fits within the general character of the neighborhood, and that it is appropriate for the size of your lot.
- Quality Materials. Most builders offer “builder-grade” materials (the lowest grade of materials), with options for upgrades at additional cost. At Southland, many of our standard materials are considered upgrades by other builders. We know that our clients will be satisfied only with the best.
- Environmental Responsibility. Our commitment to environmental responsibility includes the use of materials that do not pose a threat to your family’s health and safety. Our staff is knowledgeable and certified in environmental matters, and energy-efficiency is high on our list of priorities.
The Houston Heights
Established over 100 years ago, the Heights began as a streetcar suburb of Houston, attracting those who wished to live in an area other than the densely-populated city. It is inside the 610 loop (Interstate 610 is a beltway around Houston), and is served by the Houston Independent School District. Numerous elementary schools, middle schools and high schools serve the Heights. It has its own branch of the Houston Public Library, as well as numerous parks and recreation areas, including Heights Boulevard Park, and Milroy Park and Community Center. Houston Heights is also home to the World War II Memorial.
Just minutes from downtown Houston, the Heights is one of the city’s fastest growing neighborhoods. It is attracting young professionals who are looking for a solid real estate investment inside the Loop. Referred to as a small town in a big city, the Heights sits just four miles northwest of downtown Houston. A look at the area will reveal broad, tree-lined streets dotted with new homes as well as homes dating back to the early 1900’s.
The Heights consists of about 3,700 homes, and properties there have undergone significant appreciation over the past 10 years. The essential character of the area is furthered by deed provisions affecting many of the lots in the Heights. Those provisions contain restrictions such as:
- Use. Most of the neighborhood is restricted to residential homes.
- Signs. The use and type of sign are restricted.
- Setbacks. Many lots have minimum setbacks, which means that the home must be at least a certain number of feet from the street.
- Minimum street frontage. This reduces the chance of subdividing lots into tiny parcels which necessitate configurations such as flag lots.
While some owners or potential owners might view these restrictions as an unwarranted infringement upon their right to build as they choose, at Southland, we see it differently, because the deed restrictions in fact help to preserve the character and quality of the residences in the Heights. This in turn is your best protection against declining property values.
Custom Design & Materials Make all the Difference
If you are considering building a high-end custom home in the Heights, or if you own a historic residence in need of remodeling, Southland Homes of Texas is the builder of choice for you. As a custom home builder and remodeler, Southland is not constrained like many builders by cookie-cutter designs and standard “packages”. We offer flexibility, the finest craftsmanship and materials, and a commitment to excellence that is second to none.