What should you consider when looking for a custom home builder in Memorial?
In your search for a high-end custom home builder, we understand that you want only the best in construction materials, craftsmanship and practices. At Southland Homes of Texas, we offer precisely that, along with an all-inclusive process that insures your new home will be everything you dreamed of, and more. From concept through completion, we have one overriding goal: the creation of a home that is aesthetically pleasing, and functions to serve the lifestyle of you and your family. Southland’s expertise also extends to historic renovation, allowing you to preserve the architectural style of your older home, and yet not sacrifice on comfort and utility.
Our designs are unique – we do not offer cookie-cutter floor plans. And we use only the finest materials. In fact, many of our standard materials are other builder’s upgrades. We are also committed to environmental integrity, insuring the safety of your family and of the environment in general. We offer our services to those who can afford the best in home construction, and our clients tend to gravitate to a number of select suburbs in the greater Houston area. Among those suburbs is Memorial.
Located west of downtown Houston, Memorial is bounded generally by Bayou Boulevard, Interstate 610, State Highway 6 and Interstate 10. While a portion of this area is within and part of the City of Houston, Memorial also contains a number of autonomous villages that are independent of Houston and which share with one another certain municipal services such as fire and police protection.
There are a number “landmarks” which help define the Memorial district. These are:
- Texas Medical Center – Including its 50 medical institutions, 15 hospitals, 3 medical schools, 4 nursing schools, and other facilities, it is the largest medical center in the world.
- CityCentre – Retail, dining, office space, hotel, conference center, fitness spa, and theater.
- The Galleria District – The Galleria is an upscale urban development that includes offices, hotels, hundreds of stores, as well as other amenities.
- Reliant Park (formerly Astrodomain) – Encompassing several major facilities, Reliant Park includes the Reliant Astrodome, Reliant Center, Reliant Arena, and other venues. It occupies 350 acres, and is the location of numerous entertainment and sporting events, as well as conventions.
- Two large malls – Memorial City Mall and Town & Country Village.
A number of villages form a part of the Memorial district, but are independent cities. They elect their own mayor and council and operate independently of Houston:
- Spring Valley Village – With a population of about 3,700, and an area of 1.6 square miles, the majority of Spring Valley is zoned for single-family residential.
- Piney Point Village – Another upscale residential community, Piney Point started in the 1800’s as a railway station, and was incorporated in 1955. Today, it is home to about 3,500 people, and as of 2010, its per capita income made it the wealthiest community in Texas.
- Bunker HillVillage – With fewer than 4,000 residents occupying 1.5 square miles, Bunker Hill is another small residential community within the Memorial area. It is served by the Spring Branch Independent School District, Memorial Middle School, Spring Branch Middle School and Memorial High School.
- Hedwig Village – One of the smaller villages, Hedwig has a population of only about 2,500, and a land area of about one square mile. It is another of the affluent communities that make up Memorial.
- Hilshire Village – Clearly the smallest of the villages (.3 square miles), Hilshire Village has about 1,000 residents. As of the 2000 census, it was the 10th wealthiest city in Texas. Over the last 20 years or so, a number of older home in Hilshire Village have been demolished to make way for newer residences.
- Hunters Creek Village – Although Hunters Creek Village has an area of only about two square miles, it contains over six miles of hiking and biking trails. With a population of around 4,400, it is home to the Houston Racquet Club, and a quick glance at the zoning map reflects that almost the entire land area is zoned residential.
Residential Property in Memorial
A central theme in the Memorial area is the substantial amount of residential property contained in the villages, which, while surrounded by Houston, are not part of the larger city. This section of greater Houston has the best of both possible worlds in residential real estate. They are small, autonomous towns, devoted largely to residential tracts of land, yet are accessible to both downtown Houston and to the many shopping, entertainment and sports venues which have emerged both within and on the outskirts of the city.
If you are looking for an upscale community for your new custom home, look no further than the villages in Memorial, Texas. When you decide to build, contact us to discuss your needs. We offer a free consultation, and we would be happy to share with you our experience and first-rate construction practices.